Why Choose To Have A Thigh Lift?
We can carry out a thigh lift to treat loose skin and droop in the inner thigh or buttock area that can result from weight loss, age or following liposuction.
Procedure In Brief
The loose skin in the upper thigh is removed leaving the scar hidden in the groin crease. The scar is nearly always transverse in this crease. If the loose skin is very excessive then a vertical component may need to be added leaving a T shaped scar.
The incisions are usually hidden in a skin crease but do cover the length of the inner thigh. In more extreme cases the incision leaves a T shaped scar.
These scars tend to heal very well but are prone to some stretching over time. They will initially appear a little pink in the first few weeks, but will then fade to white. Most patients will form extremely good quality scars over time. The length of time will vary in each individual patient.
A full medical history will be obtained before any surgery. As a precaution, do not take any over the counter medicines or herbal remedies prior to surgery or for 3 days following. Also avoid aspirin, ibuprofen and Voltarol based tablets. It would be useful to bring a list of any prescribed medications to your pre-op assessment.
If you are a smoker, try and stop for six weeks before and after surgery as it can reduce the chances of complications.
Recovering from Thigh Lift Surgery
Length Of Surgery
The Operation takes 2 hours - 2.30 hours depending on the areas to be treated. This can be done under local anaesthetic though it is usually by general-anaesthetic.
Length Of Stay In Hospital
Usually a one night stay.
Dressings And Stitches
The area will usually be covered by a medical glue that acts as a dressing. This lasts for about two weeks by which time all wounds are usually healed. You will need to wear a pressure garment day and night for two weeks, and then during the day for a further 4 weeks.
Post-Operative Instructions And Recovery
Day 1 You should be taking it very easy! Relax in the hospital or at home.
Day 2-5 You can be up and about but you may be in some discomfort.
Day 5-14 Most of the swelling and bruising will settle over this next week. You will be feeling much better from here onwards. You can start exercising gently and build it up over the next 10 days.
Week 4 onwards you will be nearly back to normal.
We will check your wound at day 5 and again the following week. You will then have an appointment with Stephen McCulley at 3 months. You will not be charged for any follow up appointment relating to your surgery.
Although most of your result will be noticeable immediately it will continue to improve over the first three months.
Time Off Work And Socialising
People vary in recovery and this will depend on the size of area treated, but allow 10-14 days. Full anaesthetic can take longer to recover from. Most patients are very comfortable at one week and feel more stiff than in pain.
Time To Exercise
Patients usually feel able to walk a distance at 3 days and swim gently by 10-14 days. Strenuous exercise (aerobics etc) should be avoided for 3 weeks, and contact sports for 6 weeks.
Patients should avoid driving until they are completely free of pain and restriction, and be able to confidently perform an emergency stop. This is to ensure they will be covered by their insurance policy. It may take up to two or three weeks to recover sufficiently.
Potential Complications With Thigh Lift Surgery
This is a routine operation that is a great success for the vast majority of patients. However, as with any procedure, it is very important you understand what can go wrong as well as right. The potential complications are listed below.
- Small degrees of asymmetry: The same operation will be performed on both sides. However effects of surgery can be subtlety different on the two sides.
- Scars: The quality of scars vary between patients as they may stretch differently.
- Skin irregularity: Small areas of irregularity can be observed.
- Softening of the lift: The tightening will soften over the first 6 months with the scar falling slightly.
- Altered sensation: Some altered sensation can be noticed but usually settles over the first few weeks.
- Bruising/bleeding: Usually minor but can be greater occasionally.
- General operation risks: Chest infections, Blood clots in the leg or lung (DVT or PE). Although rare it is important to avoid these by not smoking, being excessively overweight and moving about after surgery as soon as possible.
If you experience any side-effects that you are concerned about please don't hesitate to contact us.
What does Thigh Lift Surgery cost?
Inner Thigh Lift £5,350 - £5,750
What Is Included In The Cost?
The prices listed are all inclusive and cover:
- The pre-operative assessment and investigations
- The operation
- Hospital stay and any treatment required
- All follow up (nursing and with Stephen McCulley) relating to your surgery
- Any emergency problems or re-admissions relating to your surgery within the first year
Frequently Asked Questions
If you'd like to see more then please view our frequently asked questions on Cosmetic Body Procedures!